The holidays are (rapidly) approaching… so I thought I’d share a few of my favorite things in case you need inspiration for gifts for a runner in your life, or just gifts for yourself. Let’s face it, runners are getting themselves “gifts” year-round… we need it!
- Clif Bloks – energy chews! These are a new favorite. I found them on sale and thought I’d give them a shot. Turns out they are delicious and are easy to carry around. The Bloks come in a pack of 6 and are extremely portable. They could fit in a pocket, belt, or even just toss them in your pants and you’d barely notice they’re there… I got Tropical Punch and really enjoy that flavor (good thing, since I got a case of them…) Just as an “FYI,” some flavors contain more caffeine than others, and some flavors have no caffeine.
- Garmin Forerunner 35 – my favorite watch! This is a fairly new Garmin model. You’re going to think I’m crazy – but I went from the Fenix 3 Sapphire to this and am more than happy! Don’t get me wrong, the Fenix is a beautiful watch. But it was just like living in a mansion by myself. It had more features than I ever bothered with. The Forerunner 35 is extremely simple. It’s user friendly (no instructions needed) and does the basics. It also is especially affordable considering it has a built-in wrist HR monitor (which my Fenix did not have while costing 4x as much). I also love how lightweight and sleek it is. I wear it 24-7. This watch does NOT track swimming, though – if that’s important to you.
- X31 Sports Running Skirt. I never wear skirts, never wore skirts, and never planned on wearing skirts. I got this in the mail and was taken by surprise. The material is great. The waist band is great. I now find myself wearing it around the house all the time. I can’t wait for it to warm up a bit so I can try running with it. Definitely something fun and different to try if you’re a shorts-gal like me.
- Nike Sphere Element Quarter Zip Pullover. Now, I don’t get to wear this running much, living in Texas where winter is a week of 40-degree weather, BUT I have been loving this. As soon as I put it on, I thought, EVERY RUNNER MUST HAVE THIS. If you can find one on sale (the original price of $85 a pop is a bit steep in my opinion), then I’d recommend scooping it up. It has little fuzzy balls lining the inside that will make you never want to take it off. Oh, plus I just love this light/faded purpley color I found it in.
- Oiselle Lux Verrazano Bra – HOLY LUX! If you own ONE thing from Oiselle, it shou;d be this bra. It’s like wearing nothing! I don’t know what else to say other than this is, hands down, my absolute favorite bra. For everything. Running, yoga, being alive…
- Aftershokz Trekz Titanium Headphones. These are a MUST HAVE for runners, bikers, and anyone that does anything outdoors. They aren’t your typical headphones – they are wireless and they are safe! How? Well, I don’t know all the science of how it works, but they allow you to hear your music AND ambient sounds. They sit on top of your ear. I thought this would effect the sound quality (I like my music loud), but it doesn’t! Listen to your music and stay safe while still hearing cars zooming by or your neighbor shouting at you. If I had to pick only one must-have, this would be it.
- UV Buff. I was only introduced to these this year, and wow. These things are amazing. It’s basically a long tube of cloth, but does oh, so many things! They can be worn in so many ways and are great for keeping warm or protecting yourself from the sun. They also come in lots of colors and patters and are even great for dogs! Don’t forget about the furry runner in your life!
- Athletic Greens Superfood Cocktail. I try to eat healthy, and for the most part I do. But, you know… life, time, and other things happen. I like to take a greens supplement every morning just to make sure I’m getting my greens (super important) and to have the ritual of doing something healthy and good for myself first thing in the morning. This is just my ritual and I do feel like it helps with my energy. Athletic Greens is a little on the pricey side, but is like an “all in one” supplement (it even has probiotics!), plus is the only greens I can drink without wanting to vomit everywhere because of the taste.
- Brooks Launch 3. This shoe would be even better if it came in narrow widths, but until then I just lace them up tight. I have been on a never-ending search for shoes that work and have finally come across the Brooks Launch as well as the Brooks Adrenaline, which are now my two go-to shoes. The Launch are light-weight “fast” shoes, whereas the Adrenaline are a bit sturdier with more support which is great for longer runs. I’m happy to have found these shoes.
- Feetures Merino Wool Cushion socks. I love Feetures! I have many types, but these are my favorite. I had heard that wool was a magic ingredient when it came to socks and it seems to be true. I love these and the fact that they are cushioned yet not bulky. I like the cushioning because I have narrow feet, and do anything to help the shoes fit… but sometimes the cushioning can be too much and make my foot feel suffocated. Not with these!
- 2XU Compression Socks. I’ve tried many, many compression socks. These quickly became my absolute favorite. Well, as soon as I tried my first pair. They are SOFT. I never even noticed how un-soft (it’s a word!) other compression socks were until putting these on. They aren’t a pain to take on and off and are just a buttery soft dream. I love them. Oh, and specifically these “Hypotik” ones shown, because of the reflective pieces on the front AND back!
- Ultimate Direction AMP Handheld. This handheld water bottle is THE ONLY handheld I will use any more. I think it’s one of those things you either absolutely love or absolutely can’t stand. It’s a soft water bottle (I showed you what just the water bottle looks like next to it). So, as it empties, it deflates… like a bladder. It’s a cloth-y material and straps on to your hand. For me, it’s easy to grip, sip, fill, wash and is just perfection. Trying to grip one of the solid bottles now is just a pain. Plus it has pockets!
Well, I hope this gave you some inspiration and I am glad I could share a few of my favorites with you! What are some of your favorites?