Disclaimer: I received an Aftershokz Trekz Titanium Mini to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
What are “Aftershokz Trekz Titanium,” anyway? What makes them different from other Wireless headphones?
Description (straight from the website):
The lightweight and comfortable Trekz Titanium wireless stereo headphones are the safest alternative to traditional sport headphones and earbuds. Bone conduction technology, an open ear design and a suite of convenient features deliver premium music play and crystal clear calling without compromise. Designed with athletes in mind, Trekz Titanium are sweatproof, secure, and will allow you to hear your surroundings – no matter where life takes you.
What does this mean?
Treks Titanium Aftershokz wireless headphones sit on the outside of your ears and use special technology to make the sound quality great while still allowing you to hear ambient sounds – cars, people, dogs – keeping you safe during your outdoor activities.
Features (from the website):
- Bone conduction technology delivers music through your cheekbones, ensuring ears remain completely open to hear ambient sounds
- Titanium wraparound headband is lightweight and flexible for durability and portability
- OpenFit™ design ensures maximum situational awareness and comfort during long-term wear
- PremiumPitch+™ guarantees a premium audio experience, including wide dynamic range and rich bass
- Wireless Bluetooth® 4.1 connectivity and convenient multipoint pairing
- LeakSlayer™ technology significantly reduces natural sound leakage
- IP55 certified to repel sweat, dust and moisture, from workouts to wicked weather
- Enjoy six hours of continuous music + calls on a single charge
- EQ presets boost bass and reduce vibration on the go
- Dual noise canceling microphones exclude surrounding noise, effectively enhancing speech
- Audrey Says™ voice prompts guide users through power, pair, play and talk
- Hassle-free 2-year warranty
Specifications (from the website):
- Speaker type: bone conduction transducers
- Frequency response: 20Hz~20KHz
- Sensitivity: 100 ± 3dB
- Microphone: -40dB ± 3dB
- Bluetooth version: v4.1
- Compatible profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP
- Wireless range: 33 ft (10m)
- Battery: rechargeable lithium ion
- Continuous play: 6 hours
- Standby time: 10 days
- Charge in: 1.5 hours
- Weight: 1.27 oz (36g)
Now that we know what this little gadget is and all the specs, are they worth it? Here’s my opinion:
These are the best invention, hands down, as far as a runner is concerned aside from running shoes. The fact that they are wireless is amazing. They pair to my phone immediately (EVERY time), hold a great charge and tell you when they’re running low, are extremely durable, and are comfortable. Not to mention the best part, which is that they could literally be a life-saver. They allow you to hear what’s going around you while still hearing your podcast or playlist.
When I got my first pair of Aftershokz Trekz Titamium Headphones, I thought the sound quality wouldn’t be as good as my ear-bud headphones since they sit on the outside of your hear, but the sound is amazing. If you’re wondering if you can still have your jams on full-blast and keep the same sound quality, YES.
What about sizing? What’s the deal with the “mini” size? Simply measure the back of your head like it suggests on the website and select regular or mini based on that – other than sizing they are the exact same headphones. I personally have both the regular as well as the mini (which I am reviewing here) and they both fit. I slightly prefer the fit of the mini.
These headphones truly deserve a rave review – if I had to recommend one product to runners, athletes, or anyone who listens to music outdoors – this would be it. It is worth the investment as it is a product that changes your entire running experience by keeping you safe while being extremely convenient. I always recommend these when asked about my favorite headphones and even bought a pair for my dad cause ya know, I love him and want him to be safe! (He is an avid cyclist and loves his music like I do).
Feel free to also view my review on the regular-fit here and please let me know if you have any questions about these headphones – how they work or otherwise! I use them daily so I’m happy to help!
Connect with Aftershokz: