Disclaimer: I received AfterShokz Trekz Air Wireless Headphones to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
What is an “AfterShokz Trekz Air?”
AfterShokz have been creating the amazing OVER- the-ear headphones that allow you to hear your music beautifully WHILE allowing you to hear ambient sounds – cars, screaming neighbors, etc. – while running or doing your favorite outdoor activity. These wireless headphones are called the AfterShokz Trekz Titanium. Well, imagine this headphone, but LIGHTER. Light as AIR.
The AfterShokz Trekz Air have been born. They use the bone-conduction technology to prive amazing sound quality but keeping you safe in your surroundings, all in a light-as-air package. As AfterShokz puts it:
“The next generation of bone conduction technology is what’s inside our lightest and most organically designed open ear headphones to date. We cut the bulk and used titanium everywhere possible to ensure they not only fit more securely but sound better too. Trekz Air are inspired by the demands of elite and aspiring athletes motivated by their music and their world.”
I will vouch for the light-as-air feeling, but before I spout my opinion, let’s go over some specifics.
- Bone conduction technology delivers music through your cheekbones, ensuring ears remain completely open to hear ambient sounds
- A 20% lighter build than its counterpart
- A new organic design delivers increased comfort
- Complete wraparound titanium design provides a flexible fit for unnoticeable all-day comfort and stability
- OpenFit™ design ensures maximum situational awareness and comfort during long-term wear
- PremiumPitch+™ guarantees a premium audio experience, including wide dynamic range and rich bass
- Bluetooth® v4.2 connectivity and convenient multipoint pairing
- LeakSlayer™ technology significantly reduces natural sound leakage
- IP55 certified to repel sweat, dust and moisture, from workouts to wicked weather
- Enjoy six hours of continuous music + calls on a single charge
- EQ presets boost bass and reduce vibration on the go
- Dual noise canceling microphones exclude surrounding noise, effectively enhancing speech
- Audrey Says™ voice prompts guide users through power, pair, play and talk
- Hassle-free 2-year warranty
- Speaker type: bone conduction transducers
- Frequency response: 20Hz~20KHz
- Sensitivity: 100 ± 3dB
- Microphone: -40dB ± 3dB
- Bluetooth version: v4.2
- Compatible profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP
- Wireless range: 33 ft (10m)
- Battery: rechargeable lithium ion
- Continuous play: 6 hours
- Standby time: 20 days
- Charge in: 2 hours
- Weight: 1.06 oz (30g)
What’s in the box:
Just upon opening the box, I was really impressed. The headphones are nicely packaged. You can tell they are extremely lightweight just upon taking them out of the packaging. The material is light, yet durable and flexible. They don’t feel fragile, like they’ll snap when bent or dropped. In fact, for your convenience, I have dropped mine several times (totally on purpose for this review…), and they’ve survived.
The case it comes with is nice and compact, and you’ll also get a nice charger (any micro-USB that you already have will also work), and ear-plugs which can be used if you don’t want to hear your surroundings (think: mowing the lawn).
I turn the headphones on and hear the nice voice “Welcome to Trekz Air.” This voice will also let you know when the headphones have connected to your device, when you’re battery needs to be charged soon, and when you battery is really low. Yeah, these are the real deal.
I’ve been wearing them for my runs and the sound quality is just AMAZING. If you’re wondering if the sound quality is compromised because of the fact that you can still hear your surroundings, it’s NOT. I like my music loud, and I like to hear the bass. Music is a must-have for me on runs. These would also be great for podcasts, phone-calls, and books on tape – you’ll hear every word.
As for durability, you may be wondering some of the same questions I was:
Will they withstand sweat? Yes. Lots of it. I live in Texas and have poured sweat while wearing these babies and haven’t worried a bit. I just wipe them off with a dry cloth (usually just a T-shirt or whatever’s nearby) after running so they don’t get grungy.
Can you wear them in the rain? They are water resistant, not water proof. So, you can use your best judgement but I have worn them in the rain and nothing bad happened to them. I think that as long as they don’t get drenched, they are OK. Don’t wear them to swim laps.
How is the battery life? Amazing. I find myself charging these about once a week or less. On a full charge, they will run for 6 hours straight (music and phone calls!). Plus, the nice voice will tell you when they’re about ready for a charge by saying “battery low.”
Is the music quality still good/loud enough since they don’t go IN your ear? Yes. I don’t know how. But yes. I was skeptical of this one, thinking there’s no way it will sound as good as ear bus… but I was proved wrong. The sound quality will not disappoint.
How is the fit? Do they feel weird? The fit is great. You just place them over your ears, and you’re good to go. No bouncing or falling off. It might feel odd at first to have them NOT shoved deep into your ear hole like most headphones, but you quickly get used to (and fall in love) with it.
These headphones are sure to impress. Dramatic but true, these headphones are a must-have for me now that they’ve changed my entire running experience. Order yous at http://bibrave.aftershokz.com/ and use code “TRUCKER” for a free hat with purchase!
What other questions do you have? I’m happy to answer!